Abstract submission is closed.
For any abstract related queries please contact the ESSO 41 Secretariat.
All selected abstracts will be published in the European Journal of Surgical Oncology (EJSO) after the Congress (Feb-Mar Issue).
ABSTRACT POLICIES & REGULATIONS
With the submission of an abstract to ESSO 41 Congress, the presenting author:
- accepts responsibility for the accuracy of the submitted abstract.
- accepts to be the contact person for all correspondence regarding the abstract and inform co-authors of its status.
- confirms that all authors are aware of and agree to the content of the abstract and support the data presented.
- warrants that the data and conclusions presented in the abstract have not been published in the same format and with the same title prior to the date of the ESSO 41 congress.
- states that for all studies involving human or animal subjects, permission has been obtained from the relevant regulatory authority and informed consent given where appropriate.
- identifies, obtains and discloses any financial interest in products or processes described in the abstract for all abstract authors. This includes stock ownership, membership on an advisory board or board of directors, corporate-sponsored research, and other substantive relationships.
- releases the copyright on behalf of all authors to ESSO and gives permission for the abstract, when selected for presentation, to be published in an issue of the European Journal of Surgical Oncology, as well as on the ESSO 41 website. The copyright of the abstract remains with the author(s).
ABSTRACT PREPARATION & SUBMISSION
Please select one topic which refers to the main subject of the abstract.
- BREAST CANCER
- COLORECTAL & ANAL CANCER
- HEAD & NECK AND THYROID CANCER
- HEPATOBILIARY AND PANCREATIC CANCER
- OESOPHAGEAL AND GASTRIC CANCER
- PERITONEAL SURFACE MALIGNANCIES
- RARE TUMOURS AND TRANSVERSAL TOPICS
- SURGICAL TRIAL PROPOSALS
The abstract must be submitted in good English. The Scientific Committee reserves the right to reject abstracts which are presented in poor English, or may request an immediate revision by the presenting author.
No more than 20 authors can be listed. E-mail address, institutional affiliation, city and country have to be filled in. For co-operative study groups, the name of the group should be used instead of individual institutional affiliations or include the name of the group in the title of the abstract.
The title of the abstract should be concise and accurately describe the study undertaken. Do not use non-standard abbreviations and commercial names (generic names only).
Abstracts should be structured to include the following 4 sections:
- Background: introductory sentence specifying the purpose of the study
- Material and methods: brief description of relevant experimental procedures
- Results: summary of the results of the investigation
- Conclusions: a statement of the main conclusions
The abstract submission system will not accept abstracts that exceed 2900 characters (including body of the abstract, spaces and 1 table).
Only one data table is permitted in the body of the abstract. Illustrations and figures are not allowed and will be deleted if submitted.
Abbreviations may be used if standard or if spelled out and defined at the first use. Compounds should be mentioned with the generic name, in lower cases. Commercial names are admitted in the text, with an ®, and if in brackets following the generic name, i.e. “generic (Commercial ®)”.
ABSTRACT SUBMISSION PROCEDURE
Abstracts can only be submitted online.
Abstracts submitted by e-mail or fax will not be considered. The abstract submission system for the ESSO 41 will only be accessible on the congress website.
Step-by-step instructions will be provided within the submission system. Submitters can edit their abstracts until the deadline.
An e-mail confirming receipt of the abstract submitted online will be sent to the presenting author within 1 hour. An abstract number will be allocated and should be mentioned for any queries relating to the submitted abstract.
ABSTRACT SELECTION PROCESS
Abstracts submitted for presentation at the ESSO 41 Congress will be reviewed by a panel of experts in the field of the subject and will be judged solely on the data submitted. The final decision on the presentation format of all selected abstracts lies at the sole discretion of the Scientific Committee.
The following presentation formats are applicable for the ESSO 41 Congress:
- Oral presentation = abstract is selected for oral presentation in the scientific programme.
- Poster presentation = abstract will be displayed as a poster on the electronic screens at the venue and will be accessible throughout the whole duration of the congress.
- Poster in Spotlight = abstract will be displayed as a poster on the electronic screens + presented as a short oral presentation in the Posters in Spotlight Session.
- Surgical Trial Protocol = protocol concept that will be selected for presentation in the transversal session: “Clinical Research in surgical oncology” supported by the Anticancer Fund (ACF). During this session, 3 selected authors will have the opportunity to pitch their surgical trial proposal to a panel of experts. The best proposal will be rewarded with a prize of 500 EUR to further develop their protocol. The Anticancer Fund will also support trial presenters’ expenses as per ESSO conditions.
By submitting an abstract, authors commit to register to the Congress if selected, unless serious reasons can be invoked (COVID-19 positive test, travel restrictions, severe family problems).
ABSTRACT SELECTION NOTIFICATION
The presenting author will receive the result of the review and the Scientific Committee’s decision on their abstract by email by mid-July 2022.
PRESENTING AUTHOR REGISTRATION
Submitting an abstract for presentation at ESSO 41 does not constitute registration for the congress. Abstract presenters must register to attend the ESSO 41 Congress.
The presenting author of an accepted abstract will be allowed to register at early rate. Accepted abstracts will only be published in the Congress publications if the presenting author is registered and full payment has been received. Furthermore, the abstract must be presented in person by the author or co-author at the Congress.
If the presenting author of an accepted abstract is not registered (including full payment received) by 15 August 2022, the abstract will be withdrawn.
PRESENTING AUTHOR REPLACEMENT
If the presenting author of a selected abstract cannot attend, they should assign a replacement and immediately inform the ESSO 41 Secretariat at email@example.com.